Lost Without You...But who's 'You'?

'Lost without you' by Jaci Velasquez was one of my favorite songs....until recently when I came across 'Lost without you' By Delta Goodrem. They are the same: same music, same lyrics...well almost same lyrics. We come across one song sung by different artists at different times. For example, Ronan Keating sings a lot of songs which are not his original. I don't have a problem with that. 'You raise me up' is a very versatile song sung by numerous artists in different contexts. It can be a song between lovers, song about human solidarity, or a gospel song about Jesus raising us up. That's still fine. But what we find here in 'Lost without you' and 'Lost without you' by Goodrem and Valesquez is different and quite unsettling. Who copied who? The fact of the matter is "Lost Without You" is a pop ballad written by Bridget Benenate and Matthew Gerrard, produced by Gerrard for Delta Goodrem's first album Innocent Eyes (2003)(wikipedia).Wikipedia also says, "Contemporary Christian artist Jaci Velasquez has also recorded a cover version (Album: Unspoken, 2003). In this version the lyrics of the song have been revised to tell of a dependence upon God, as opposed to a lover, as in the original". When you look at the lyrics, what's the change? Let me start with more startling ones. On my bed so cold at night I miss you more each day (Goodrem). becomes Oh, my world's so cold at night When I wander far away (Velasquez). but baby since you've gone I admit I was wrong becomes But You loved me all along And I admit that I was wrong if we ever say we'd never be together in the end you wave goodbye becomes If I ever thought we'd never be together 'Cause of all my foolish pride baby I'm so lonely all the time becomes When I fall, You'll catch me every time If I could only hold you now becomes I know that You can hear me now Plagiarism isn't the issue here because it's a cover version Jaci is doing here. Also it's not about a song which is evil dressed up to appear holy. Physical intimacy within marital relationships is a thing anyone can write a song about. What's with this song then? Remove the physical affections and it becomes a holy song about longing for God. Now, can you dig it? Here's another artist. Carrie Underwood can be singing 'Jesus take the wheel...i can't do this on my own, i'm letting go, so give me one more chance' then switch to 'Last night i did things I'm not proud of...my mama would be so ashamed...oh no what have I done..and I don't even know his Last Name' without any cringing. South Park - Christian Rock

Comments

  1. Actually, Wikipedia is wrong and it is Delta who covered Valasqeuz' version.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Followers

Total Pageviews