A Very Simple Life Story (Updated Version)

My name is Razuhii* and I know exactly where the sun rises. The sky turns yellow over the mountain, and then the sun appears in between the guava tree and the thatch house. Wait for minute. Now, it is in front of the house. It is time to go home.

I washed my face, filled my pots and went home. As the water in the kettle started to rumble, I have finished cleaning the rice. I replaced the kettle from the fire place with the rice pot and added some firewood. With a cup of strong tea, I went round my house, strolling leisurely as I made a list in my mind of what I'll do today. Hmmm... I'll check the water channel to the paddy field, dig some fish holes and weave a new net at the water outlet. On my way back, I must remember to collect mushrooms for dinner. I fed my chicken and prepared my meal.

After my early lunch, I packed my tiffin and whistling my favorite tunes I walked down to the paddy field which is on the bank of the Thikhapii River. In its lower course, the river is called Sidzii. Along with rice cultivation, I rear fish in the paddy field. Also I have orange, guava and banana trees in plenty. In season, I pluck them and distribute to friends and relatives. Especially the kids love them. Hungry hunters also feast on them, but I don’t mind as it is too far away from the village and I can carry only a little. Let them enjoy the fruits with wild animals and birds.

After my day's work, I got some extra time and I did some fishing in the river and took a bath. Even though I am rearing fish, the small variety that I catch in the river is tastier.

By the time I returned home, the sun was setting. I cooked dinner- fish and mushroom- and shared some with my neighbor as we chatted about our day's work. We also enjoyed together listening to the local news on radio.  I was tired and went to bed early. After all, I've to wake up early tomorrow and go down to the pool to watch the sunrise.

My name is Razuhii and I know exactly where the sun rises.

(*Many people think that my Dad is the only son of my Grandparents. But I was told that dad had a brother whose name was Razuhii. He died when he was just a small boy… The story is one in a series of short stories. The others are, ‘A Very Scary Ghost Story’, ‘A Very Romantic Love Story’, ‘A Very Killing Killer Story’, ‘A Very Slow Tortoise Story’. They can be read at www.thatchhouse.blogspot.com )

Comments

Followers

Total Pageviews