Books: Chomsky and Schumacher

This is the book I got today from online shopping in homeshop18.com. This site is beating flipkart in terms of price, packaging; and delivery is equally fast. MRP is 550 but I got it for 330. It delivered in exactly 1 week after order... through Blue Dart courier. So much about the ordering process..that's because I'm yet to start reading.

This is what I wrote in a discussion group in facebook:
Just a suggestion. I have been reading E.F Schumacher's 'Small is Beautiful: A Study of Economics as if People Mattered' and I feel that if you can get the time, it will be nice to study the book together. The book costs Rs. 239. Each of the 19 chapters is a separate essay. Economic thinker EF Schumacher was a dedicated atheist who converted to Christianity in 1971. Two years later, Small is Beautiful was published. The book has been translated to several languages and Random House published the book again in 2011, latest as far as I know. The Guardian recently discussed on the book title ‘small is beautiful’ which Schumacher reluctantly put for his book and the danger of reducing it into a meaningless phrase.

Here are 2 quotes from the book
‘What is at fault is not specialization, but the lack of depth with which the subjects are usually presented, and the absence of metaphysical awareness. The sciences are being taught without any awareness of the presuppositions of science, of the meaning and significance of scientific laws, and of the place occupied by the natural sciences within the whole cosmos of human thought. The result is that the presuppositions of science are normally mistaken for its findings’. (Chapter 6: The greatest resource – Education)

‘Development does not start with goods; it starts with people and their education, organization, and discipline. Without these three, all resources remain latent, untapped, potential’. (Chapter 11: Development)

Comments

  1. One of my favorite books - Small is beautiful - I think I like it more because I am a bad economic student but Schumacher makes it a lot more interesting and understandable for me.
    There's another book that I like written by Paulo Friere on Education. The book is entitled - Pedagogy of the Oppressed. If you haven't got the book I'd say it's worth having a copy of it! Koko

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendation, Koko. I haven't read it yet and will surely get a copy soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for that . . .I had been searching for that quote on development for some time . . .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Followers

Total Pageviews