Confessions of a Formula1 racing fan

The problem with being an F1 racing fan is that every time a car overtakes you, you don’t take it very well…But I keep myself grounded knowing that I drive one of the cheapest cars available in the market.

I have been a fan of formula1 racing for about 9 years now. From the start, I followed Fernando Alonso of Renault then, now of Ferrari. The sound of the v8 engines is music to my ears and I sit on the edge of my seat as I watch the five red lights illuminate and the cars dash towards the first corner.

It’s the skill of the drivers, the quality of the car, the strategy, and luck which determine who wins the race. Teammates driving similar cars can produce very different results. It’s important to push hard but also to slow down and conserve tyres and stick to strategy. Bad strategy can backfire on the best guys, as seen in Canada this year. The guys at the pit stops can also determine the race, as we’ve seen one too many times this season at the McLaren team. Luck also favors during safety car period, extreme weathers, etc.

Sometimes, I feel guilty that I passionately follow a very expensive sport. But wouldn’t it be nice to drive at over 300 km/hour before you die?

Probably one of those silly posts

Comments

  1. never really figured out F1 - seems that mostly if you get the fastest lap in qualifying you win in the big race...

    but it must be an acquired taste... like cricket.

    Football is poetry for me. 11 men (or women) on a side - a ball - passing - the throbbing sense of beauty in motion...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Years back, it became boring when races became predictable and it was more like a march to the chequered flag. But with new technology like the DRS and KERS, introduction of Pirelli tyres, and cut in budgets, it has become much more interesting. Now, majority of the teams are separated by just one or two seconds in speed and it's anybody's game. Taking pole isn't the deciding factor anymore. Overtaking is much easier with DRS. In fact, even in yesterday's race, which happened in a street circuit with less chance of overtaking, it was the most exciting race this year. This year, the first seven races saw seven different winners. Pirelli tyres are also exciting...In the race at Canada a few weeks back, Alonso was leading with one stop strategy but his tyres wore off and other cars drove around him and he limped home in 5th position. Ya, I guess it's an acquired taste

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Followers

Total Pageviews