A personal tour through Nagaland

1. Kiphire
 Today, 10th July 2013, is a special day for me. I came back from Peren this evening. That completes the tour to all the district headquarters of Nagaland. In January 2013, I managed to step foot in all the 11 districts but only today could I visit the HQ of Peren district. Let me quickly run through each of the districts through the lens of camera.

Photo 1: Kiphire district, Pungro subdivision in particular is close to my heart. After my studies from Delhi, I decided to work in the Eastern side of Nagaland and landed in Pungro Community Health Centre. This was where I learned lessons in life that I could not find in books. It taught me first hand about the realities of rural Naga life. I enjoyed the trips to villages where I spoke in the church on health awareness. My first trip to Thanamir village will always be warm in my heart even if I were to live for a thousand years. After the treacherous, yet memorable journey, we climbed the 2nd Saramati the same day. This picture was taken on the way up. We organized the first Saramati Apple Festival in 2010. The story of Saramati Apple, Thanamir village, which we published in the local dailies was picked by the National newspapers. The festival has now become an annual event.
2. Zunheboto



















Photo 2: Zunheboto district. It was in mid 2012 when I joined the malaria program that I came here with State Program Officer. The photo is that of the office of the Chief Medical Officer, Zunheboto district, of the 21st century!!

 Photo 3:  Phek district. I'm from Phek district. So, I have lots of photos from home. But I chose this photo because it is amusing to me. As this blog post is not generally about the districts of Nagaland, but more of a personal journey, I have the liberty to put this photo up. Should I reveal the identity of the person in the picture? Let me not. I went to a village to preach on a special sunday, as deputed by the Chakhesang Mission Society. So, here I am on the pulpit (not in the photo), giving a fiery sermon on the mission of God. But lo, my friend later showed me this beautiful picture of the pastor dozing off during my sermon.

3. Phek district



















Photo 4: Tuensang district. I have been searching for a good picture of a thatched house for this blog. But also not just a thatched house, but one which is on the top of a mountain to go with the description of this blog. So, I have been trying to locate a good one during my travels. When I came across this one on my way from Tuensang during Polio duty in January 2013, I said to my driver, 'stop', 'stop'. I knew I have found 'it'. Although I change my blog photo once in a  while, this is 'it'.

4. Tuensang



















Photo 5: Wokha district. I don't have many photos from Wokha yet. Except for passing through, I'm yet to tour the district. The picture is that of the Doyang river in winter. The hydro project, and the fishes are what come to mind.

5. Wokha
6. Dimapur





















Photo 6. Dimapur district. a frequently visited district but all I could get is this jack fruit photo of April 2013.

















Photo 7. Mon district. Mon, I think is a fast progressing district in Nagaland. In the 2011 census, child sex ratio was found to be low in Mon, particularly in Chen and Phomching circles. We chose Chen for a survey and visited the villages in the circle. This photo is from Chen HQ. It was chosen as the cover photo for the Study Report.
7. Mon



















Photo 8. Mokokchung district. There is much to appreciate and learn from Mokokchung district. It may not be the same everywhere in the district but cleanliness is something other tribes can learn from the Aos. Sense of beauty is also keen in the Ao mentality. They keep things beautiful for beauty's sake and not just for utility. This place has a good view. It is a few kilometres away from the district HQ on the way to Changtonya. It is like a hotel/resort.

8. Mokokchung



















Photo 9. Longleng district. The road to Longleng is the worst road to any district HQ at present. It is due to the partially done highway widening project. If the road is taken care of, Longleng should develop fast. It has the advantage that all the people of the district belong to a single tribe, Phom. Some may see that as a disadvantage for other reasons. But it does not pose conflict situations like several tribes fighting over the headquarter or an area. The community having a sense of ownership is important so that a place can develop. This photo is from Yongphang village. 
9. Longleng



















Photo 10. Kohima district. I used to think that Kohima is a crowded town. Now, I'm getting used to it. This photo was clicked one rainy April evening. This is the only instance when I see a traffic jam is beautiful. 
10. Kohima



















Photo 11. Peren district. It was 2011 and we were on the hunt for the cause of a disease which killed three people. The Rapid Response Team of the medical department reached Poilwa village of Peren district. It was nice experience, professionally. The disease was nailed. It was Scrub Typhus. The trip was in the news. Now, Scrub Typhus is found routinely in several districts. It probably has been there among us. We were not the first to detect it in Nagaland. But I'm sure that trip helped to create awareness in a big way, so that now, we are not scared of the disease. Another thing: I was too badly dressed for the day. Felt uncomfortable with my dressing the whole day. Another reason why I remember the day clearly to this day.
11. Peren

Comments

Followers

Total Pageviews