On ULB election with WR wrt Article 371A

In the midst of hot debate about Urban Local Bodies election with Women Reservation in Nagaland and its connection or lack of connection with Article 371A of Indian Constitution, I wrote the following for a WhatsApp group:

I don't always agree with my father. I have heated arguments with him but at the end of the day, I love him. I still think I am right and he thinks he is right, but we love each other. He has his experiences and I have my experiences. I want to convince him and he wants to convince me to believe him. We both cannot force each other, but I have learned to live with the tension, and stay united with him. After all, he is my dad. Learning to live with that tension is what I would call 'maturity'.

Tati is a one stringed musical instrument. I would want it to remain one-stringed. But to build a music career in this time and age, I would want my son to take up a six-stringed instrument rather than a one stringed. I would do what I can to preserve the one stringed tati and would totally disagree if someone tries to add one more string to it. But to build a music career in this generation, I cannot simply bank on a feeling of nostalgia about the tati.

The following analogy was not posted in the group. But it says the same thing more or less:

There are so-called 'uncontacted' tribes in the Amazon rain forest. Perhaps they are keeping alive their rich tradition and culture.  Good for them. But at the end of the day, is that where you want to go back to? If you think culture is static and should be preserved as such, you may strip off your clothes and run to your native village. I wish that those tribals are true to themselves and hold on to what they have. But I would also wish that they are 'contacted'. Why should you keep looking back to Eden? Look ahead, behold the city of New Jerusalem!



Comments

Post a Comment

Followers

Total Pageviews