Venting on postmodernism etc

Message posted in church WhatsApp group


Good morning every one.
I went this morning to speak in a youth camp (Japfuphiki Chokri Khriesarü-ü krotho) which went horribly wrong. Spoke in Tenyidie to over 1000 campers without microphone. Nothing can go worse than that. I had a blackout at the start from dehydration and langauge black-outs in between.

I had a conversation with Dr. Cho-o after the program which got me thinking when I went home. During lunch, I kept thinking and my wife thought that something is wrong. So, I typed what I thought and sent to Dr. Cho-o and that is what I want to share here as a way of venting out on an imperfect morning.

Postmodernism rightly diagnoses the problem of modern Enlightenment. It problematizes the confidence and undermines the arrogance of the Enlightenment (that we can do without God and determine our own destiny). But postmodernism as we have found is only useful in so far as to give a right diagnosis of its preceding ideology. It has only led to confusion and does not have any meaning or roadmap (It is against having any of such things). But postmodernism has not explained the basic human condition. Humans have a need for meaning and reason to wake up in the morning. Humans just know in their bones that some things are right and some are absolutely wrong. Postmodernism is incapable to address such things (your truth is your truth, my truth is my truth). What we need is not a return to the modern idea of human self-mastery (through Reason with capital R and so on). What an opportunity it is in this time of void when post-modernism has failed us ( although we still suffer from hangovers of both modernism and postmodernism) for Christians. We can present the Christian narrative of the human story and say, 'doesn't this explain human nature, and the state our world is in?' And we humbly share from the Word the Good News of Jesus Christ, which is not only good for individuals but good news for our world

Comments

Followers

Total Pageviews